When harsh winter weather arrives, SiteOne Landscape Supply has a solution. We are one of the leading ice melt suppliers for landscapers and contractors. Order wholesale liquid or granular ice melt for walkways, driveways, stairs and other surfaces. You can obtain ice melt by shopping online or at a local SiteOne branch. We stock the top brands and have experts available to answer your questions during business hours.
What Are the Different Types of Ice Melt?
There are many types of ice melt raw materials used for snow and, of course, ice. Let’s look at the most common ice-melt options.
- Calcium Chloride — A fast-acting option for extreme cold, it can melt ice at temperatures down to -25 °F.
- Magnesium Chloride — This ice melt is less corrosive to concrete or vegetation but works slower. It has a melting temperature of -13 °F.
- Liquid Sodium or Calcium Chloride — A brine of Sodium or Calcium, this liquid is less expensive and more eco-friendly with a melting temperature of -6 °F.
- Calcium Magnesium Acetate - This de-icer can be effective in stopping ice from forming down to around -17.5 °F. Does not contain chlorides - safer for the environment and biodegradable. Can be quite expensive.
- Sodium Chloride — Also known as “rock salt,” it’s the least expensive option, but only has a melting temperature of 20 °F and can be = corrosive to concrete surfaces and vegetation
Tips for Using Ice Melt
Use of this site is subject to certain Terms and Conditions. Local branch prices may vary from those displayed and inventory levels cannot be guaranteed.