Soil Amendment Coverage Rates
The Measure of Success
“What’s the coverage rate?” It’s one of the most common questions we are asked by our customers pertaining to mulch and straw. Here's a quick reference guide to help address this frequently asked question.
- The average bale of pine straw is nearly 4 cubic feet.
- Most customers spread the pine straw to a depth of 2 ½" when they are working in an area that hasn't had pine straw previously. You can expect that a bale will cover approximately 40 square feet.
- If a customer is over-strawing an area that has previously been covered in pine straw, you can expect that same bale to cover approximately 70 square feet.
- When you are spreading the wheat straw by hand, one bale will cover approximately 500 square feet.
- If you are using a blower to spread the wheat straw, one bale will cover approximately 1,000 square feet.