“Always Safe” is the most important element of our DNA. Always Safe means that we take personal responsibility for our safety and for the safety of others. All of our SiteOne employees, referred to by us as "our associates", are expected to:
- Follow safe operating practices
- Identify safety issues in our branch locations
- Take corrective action to avoid injuries
- Speak up when we see unsafe activity
Statistics on Safety
- Our OSHA recordable incident rate is consistently below industry average.
- We maintain a satisfactory motor carrier safety rating with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and we avoid use of common carriers with a “conditional” or lower safety rating.
We have a Safety Task Force, led by each of our division presidents, focusing on continually improving the safety of our workplace operations, with particular attention to the most common types of injuries incurred by our associates. As a result of these efforts, we are implementing several initiatives in our branch locations with the goal of eliminating workplace injuries. These initiatives include:
- A pre-shift warmup and stretching program for our associates at all of our branch locations
- Utilizing rolling stair ladders instead of step ladders
- A pilot program to utilize lifting technology for unloading flatbed trucks
- Stationary platforms for storage and straw trailers
- Loading docks and portable ramps
- Wheel chocks for vehicles and equipment
We are investing in the safety of our associates by improving our fleet of vehicles and material-handling equipment with newer, safer, more fuel efficient vehicles and equipment.
We maintain an Emergency Action Plan and train our associates to be prepared for emergencies of all types
when they occur. We also maintain a database of all hazardous materials that are present in our branches, including the applicable safety data sheets for these products. In the unlikely event of a spill of hazardous or chemical products, we maintain a policy on proper clean-up and disposal to ensure the safety and well-being of our associates and customers as well as proper handling of products in compliance with all laws.
We recognize all of our associates who receive CPR certification and reimburse the associate for all certification fees.