SiteOne Environmental Policy
One of our core values is to “Be a Good Neighbor in our Communities,” which includes operating our business in a way that reflects thoughtful environmental management. As a leader in the green industry, we are mindful of the important role that we play to protect and enhance our environment, including the air, soil and water, in a sustainable manner. We are committed to conducting our operations in a manner that is protective of the environment and of our natural resources through compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and industry best practices. We also seek to pursue continuous improvement in our operations to minimize any negative environmental impact of our business. Our environmental policy applies company-wide, including all of our subsidiaries, business operations and facilities, regardless of location. Furthermore, while we are not the manufacturer of the products that we sell, we believe that we have a joint responsibility with our suppliers to work together to reduce our environmental footprint. For this reason, we encourage our suppliers to make the same commitments that we do regarding environmental sustainability, through compliance with all applicable laws and continued operational improvement to reduce our collective impact on the environment.
Central to our policy are the following initiatives, covering environmental sustainability, energy conservation and eco-friendly products, education and engagement.
We are considerate of the impact on the environment when we make operational decisions, and we are pleased that many of our initiatives have had a positive impact on the environment.
Some of the steps we have taken thus far within our supply chain, which have improved our operational efficiency while also benefiting the environment and improving the safety of our associates, are:
- Established three distribution centers in the U.S., which have substantially reduced the number of deliveries from our carriers and suppliers to our branch locations and allowed for consolidation of shipments across our supply chain, thereby reducing fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. Through our supply chain optimization efforts, we are able to convert thousands of parcel and LTL shipments every week into full truckloads from our suppliers to our distribution centers and from our distribution centers to our branch locations.
- Installed telematics systems in our commercial vehicles, which allows us to track and improve driving behavior and encourage safer driving while optimizing vehicle performance, including more efficient fuel consumption and reduced emissions. We will continue to evaluate ways that we can utilize technology and driver training to improve the fuel efficiency of our vehicles, increase safety and reduce our carbon footprint.
- Implemented sustainability initiatives within our distribution centers, including a recycling program for the return and reuse of wooden delivery pallets.
- Engaged with an industry-leading waste and recycling service provider to properly recycle or dispose of hazardous waste product, in a compliant and sustainable manner and which utilizes a comprehensive environmental management system.
Energy Conservation & Eco-Friendly Products
- As the largest wholesale distributor of irrigation systems in the United States, SiteOne knows the importance of water conservation. The right to clean water is a fundamental human right for all of us. We offer smarter irrigation devices and systems, including weather-based, remote access, flow and moisture-sensing controllers, high-efficiency nozzles, pressure regulating valve heads and emitters, rain water collection systems, drip tubing irrigation systems, artificial turf products, moisture management technologies and erosion control products, all of which help our customers to conserve water and protect our environment. We will continue to work with our suppliers to introduce new eco-friendly products which are beneficial for the environment and more efficient for our customers.
- Another way that we support water conservation is to assist our customers in identifying water savings for commercial and residential properties through use of apps and other solution based workbooks. We also utilize water conservation efforts at our own branch locations. For example, at our on-site nurseries, we utilize recycled water sources for irrigation (using rainwater collection from on-site ponds, wells or other natural sources) as a supplement to municipal water sources, whenever possible.
- SiteOne is at the forefront of promoting innovative, environmentally friendly landscape lighting technologies, shifting the focus from traditional halogen and incandescent technologies to LED lighting and low-voltage systems. LED and low-voltage landscape lighting products use substantially less electricity than conventional and high (line) voltage products. These products are also significantly longer lasting, easier to install and maintain, and safer for use. The result of our efforts is evident with our Pro-Trade® lighting line of products, which utilize LED and low-voltage technology. We continue to evaluate new energy efficient products and will partner with our suppliers to bring these products to the market.
- Even our packaging for our Pro-Trade® line is designed with sustainability in mind to minimize waste, including the use of recyclable materials.
- SiteOne is a leader for change in the agronomics industry, providing solutions that are more efficient, longer lasting and better for the environment. After all, lawn turf is one of the largest crops in the United States, so it is critical that we offer solutions that allow us to care for our lawn while being responsible about our use of water and other natural resources. We have introduced new turf maintenance products under our LESCO® brand to help our customers maximize water and nutrient efficiency, improve soil conditions and minimize leaching of excess nitrogen into the surrounding environment. These products include industry leading slow-release nitrogen fertilizers, nutrient-optimizing soil amendment technology for improved soil conditions requiring less nitrogen, and moisture manager products to significantly reduce plant water consumption and improve overall plant health.
Education & Engagement
- As the leader in the green industry, we conduct dozens of continuing education programs for our customers, known as SiteOne University, across the U.S. each year. With SiteOne University, contractors and other landscape professionals are able to keep current with changes and trends in the industry, learn about new product information and best practices, and gain new information and tools to better manage their businesses. Our SiteOne University programs are attended by several thousand landscape professionals each year.
- In addition to SiteOne University, we conduct hundreds of “Lunch & Learn” programs annually at our branch locations, which allows us to interact with new and existing customers, provide training on products or product lines, educate our customers on best practices and support local communities. Our Lunch & Learn programs are attended by thousands of landscape professionals annually.
- SiteOne is proud to be an active member of the Irrigation Association® (IA), a leading organization of landscape professionals dedicated to promoting efficient irrigation technologies, products and services. IA works to establish and promote best practices for effective water management, benchmarks for irrigation products and applications, and advocates for sound policies for the conservation of our water supplies.
- SiteOne is a leading member of RISE (Responsible Industry for a Sound Environment®), a national trade association representing manufacturers, formulators, distributors and other green industry leaders promoting the safe use of fertilizer and pest management solutions to protect health and safety as well as enhance quality of life and the environment. RISE focuses its efforts on education and awareness activities as well as communication with policymakers and regulators to ensure proper use and application of pesticides.